4.30.2019

Rhubarb Thyme French Gin Fizz

"Se Repeter" A Rhubarb and Champagne Cocktail on Repeat.




I am not a food blogger, but I have put this cocktail through rigorous testing.  I like it so much that I even measure the ingredients every time!  If you know me at all, this is a big deal, I RARELY measure anything and believe recipes are simply a jumping off point.  But with this one, I want consistency.

We happened upon this drink by chance, and it's gone through a few improvements to land on the final recipe, which has been on repeat this last month.  I've made this for my husband, friends, neighbors, alas we tried to concoct it on vacation, but there was no Rhubarb in Laguna Beach. Like I am buying $5/lb rhubarb because I can't find a ditch to clip it from, putting out pleas to my in-laws and dad who live in the glorious PNW country to keep their eyes peeled.  Please brake for Rhubarb.  Eating and drinking seasonal makes me so happy, but it's also fleeting.  Maybe that's why it's so darn good because it doesn't last very long?  So don't wait on this one, start prepping for Friday night folks.  You can definitely find Rhubarb at specialty grocery stores in the PNW or in the ditches.

I can't decide if I am just totally smitten with how lovely it looks in my vintage champagne coupe glasses garnished with a sweet sprig of thyme, or it's refreshing spring taste with that delightful layer of foamy goodness on top that I am in love with more.  Or perhaps it's that it must be shared because the recipe only really works in pairs.

Se Repeter.  Get it?  It's Repeat in French (according to google.)  I don't know how to say it but I know how to drink it.



Either way we have been getting creative with eating a lot of extra egg yolks - throwing the extras in waffles or french toast batter.  Don't waste those golden yolks!

These are wonderful for an occasion.  Truly.






Notes on the recipe:  Now you can definitely make a rhubarb simple syrup, the reason I prefer macerating is I think the flavor of the rhubarb - or any fruit in general, stays more fresh and bright and true.  Why cook it when you don't have to?

Also I think this cocktail would work with many other seasonal fruits, this way it can be a year round affair.  That's my plan.

This is a slightly tart refreshing drink, you can always adjust the amount of rhubarb syrup and lemon to make it less tart and more sweet or the other way around.  Don't omit the Thyme if possible, it adds a lovely hint of herbaciousness (that should definitely be a word it it's not.).  The finishing touch.  The egg white is what creates that lovely foamy layer on top.


Macerated Rhubarb.
Ratio of small-medium 1 stalk of Rhubarb thinly sliced to 1/2cup sugar (if it's a large stalk use 1 cup sugar).  Place in food processor and blend, store in airtight container and let it set overnight, refrigerate.  Strain prior to use, squeezing the rhubarb pulp to get every last drop of juice out.  We have made this drink without straining, my husband prefers this method, I prefer it strained.  Each to their own.

Cocktail (makes two technically)
2 oz Dry Gin
1.5 Rhubarb Syrup
1/2 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 egg white.
Ice.

Champagne
2 sprigs of Thyme

Mix first 4 ingredients in shaker (mason jar also works) shake vigorously for 10 secs.  Add ice.  Shake for 30 secs.

Strain into a a very cute cocktail glass, top with champagne.  Gently pat thyme sprigs between the palms of your hands or with the back of a knife to release the oils and fragrance, but keep their pretty shape.  Float on top of drink.



Enjoy!

Thank you for reading.
Kirsty

No comments:

Post a Comment