9.26.2011

Pumpkin time

Fall {according to the calendar} has officially begun!!


I feel it is very appropriate to start the week off with one of my favorite flavors.


I adore pumpkin {although not so much Pumpkin pie, I think its a texture thing}  Last year I started my "pumpkinpalooza" if you will.  My goal: to cram as many pumpkin recipes into the next months as sounds appetizing {don't want to ruin a good thing so I pace myself of course}.  I know this is nothing new, but I feel like I have some pretty amazing pumpkin recipes in my cupboard, so I am going to share a few along the way.  Hope you too will enjoy.


Starting with Starbucks Pumpkin Scones {from my friend CG, with my own modifications}


Scones Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
7 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
6 Tablespoons cold butter
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
3 Tablespoons half-and-half
1 large egg
1 cup white chocolate chips
Scones Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Lightly grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.
3. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large mixing bowl.
4. With a fork, pastry knife, or food processor, cut butter into the dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly and no chunks of butter remain. Set aside.
5. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk pumpkin, half and half, and egg.
6. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Form the dough into a ball.
7. Smoosh in chocolate chips
8. Pat out dough onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a 1-inch thick rectangle (about 9 inches long and 3 inches wide).
9. Use a large knife to slice the dough into three equal portions. Cut diagonally to produce 6 triangular slices of dough.
10. Place on prepared baking sheet from step 2.
11. Bake for 14–16 minutes until scones turn light brown.
12. Place on wire rack to cool.

Modification 1, adding white chocolate chips {in case you didn't notice, I will always try to add some sort of chocolate anywhere I can}...


Modification 2 - brown butter cinnamon frosting {ridiculously good}



1/4 cup butter
2 cups powder sugar
1-2 T milk
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Heat butter in saucepan over medium heat past the melting point until it is boiling and just starting to brown with a nutlike aroma. Remove from the heat and immediately add the remaining ingredients. This should be thicker than a glaze and thinner than frosting.  Cool only slightly, drizzle over scones. Yum!




Notice the gleaming sunshine from our 80 degree indian summer day, I will admit it was lovely.

Happy Monday!

Best,
Kirsty



No comments:

Post a Comment