4.16.2012

Greek Easter

yesterday we had an impromptu Greek Easter feast.  most often we go to my husbands aunt's house and she does an amazing tradition greek feast for family and friends, but late events changed our plans.  so instead immediate family came to my house.



the weather fully cooperated.  so we opened up the back doors, threw on a table cloth, rounded up some chairs, cut some camelias, got the silver out, and we were ready.



with no time {and honestly with a year I wouldn't have done justice to what we usually experience} for a true Greek feast, we made a lighter and healthier evening meal.  


on the menu

chicken and pork souvlaki with grilled pita and tzatziki sauce
proscuitto and puff pastry wrapped asparagus
greek quinoa salad
yogurt biscuits with fresh whipped cream, strawberries, and peach freezer jam.
watermelon
rosemary strawberry lemonade


how we prepared it all:

the asparagus - delicious, we sort of followed this recipe.


souvlaki skewers
marinade 
from "The Key to Greek Cooking"
2/3c olive oil
1/4c dry white wine
1/4c fresh lemon juice
2T parseley
1T oregano
green onions
3 cloves garlic
salt and pepper
mix and marinate meat for 24+ hours.  skewer and grill

tzatziki sauce  
absolutely prefer to make my own vs. store bought
1 cup greek yogurt {I used 2% strained Fage yogurt, I find this brand is the creamiest best tasting}
1/4 cup peeled, shredded, drained cucumber
1-2 cloves garlic, mashed into a paste with some salt.

pita - made by our local grocery store, the best I've found.  just grilled on bbq.  garnish with fresh tomatoes and mixed greens.



greek quinoa salad 
adapted from my friend melissa.  this is a salad I make all year long.  love it. always a crowd pleaser.
{I kind of just throw everything in without measuring – these are rough estimates.}
for the dressing:
1/4cup evoo
3Tb fresh lemon juice
2-3 cloves fresh garlic {prefer TJs frozen garlic cubes, I use 3}
1-2 Tb fresh greek oregano, or regular will work too. 
1/2t salt
1/2t pepper 
1/4t sugar
1cup quinoa {toast in pan till nutty, then rinse and add to 2c water, bring to boil for 15min about or till water is gone}

add dressing to quinoa while still hot.  Let cool then add the following ingredients.
I usually add as much of the fresh ingredients as I have to the quinoa – I like a chunky salad.
1/3c pine nuts - toast in skillet till fragrant
½ chopped golden raisins
3T chopped kalamata olives
1/2cup chopped green onions
1/2cup chopped basil
½ cup chopped red pepper
½ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
1/4cup chopped mint
1/2crumbled feta



yogurt biscuits
recipe from the Super Natural Every Day cook book, they were delicious.  I added about 2 tbsp sugar to the mix and then sprinkled turbanado sugar on top.  mine did not rise super tall like the picture in the recipe book.  but I am determined to try again.  they were so yummy, if I can get the presentation down, seriously unstoppable!

2 1/2c whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2t fine sea-salt
1T baking powder
1/2c butter, chilled and cut into small chunks.
1 1/3c greek yogurt
2T sugar {I added this to make them sweeter}

preheat oven and baking sheet to 450
pulse first 3 ingredients, add butter, pulse till resembles coarse sand.  add yogurt, mix just till incorporated.  knead on floured surface 5 times.  roll out to 1inch thick, cut in half, lay one layer on top of the other, repeat 5 times {this is to give height!}.  roll out to 3/4inch, cut into squares, place on hot baking sheet.  bake 15-18mins till golden.



rosemary strawberry lemonade
1 can frozen lemonade concentrate
1/2 2liter bottle club soda
2c sliced strawberries
2 medium sprigs rosemary
mix and add ice.





Christos anestis.

best,
kirsty

1 comment:

  1. I always love your salad so I made it last night with the kebabs, dip and pita bread. So easy and tasted great. The salad disappeared fast. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete