3.20.2017

Spring Fashion with On The Cusp & Stepping Outside my Comfort Zone.








I have to admit when JJ asked me to be on a fashion panel for On The Cusp at Neiman Marcus, I was a bit intimidated.  I love fashion, sure, but sharing with others why I do - with a microphone in hand rather than from the comfort of my couch, gave me pause.

But since I am always preaching to step outside of your comfort zone, I had to put my money where my mouth is, and my big girl shoes on.

It was a wonderful experience.  JJ, the manager of The Cusp, was so much fun to work with.  On The Cusp has many swoon-worthy items, which made choosing my 3 looks a breeze, and difficult, only because I had to narrow it down to just 3.  What I loved the most was how different yet fabulous each of the 4 panelists looks were.  I was joined by Jenn, Molly and Carolyn.  And of course Neiman Marcus always hosts the best events, you can always count on great cocktails and bites and innovative party prep - this time included a graffiti wall and selfie light party favors.  

I was given the task of presenting my signature style, the versatility of a sneaker dress, and how to transition from soccer fields to adulting - practice to brunch.  

Here's what I did:

Signature style:  I am so ready for dresses, and for light bright colors.  I like the idea of mixing ruffles in whenever possible and a leather jacket toughens up this look.  The velvet booties add texture, and they are the best lighter salmon pink color which lends itself perfectly to spring wear.  Tassel earrings are all the rage this season, and I always love a big earring.  I felt that the bright color was the perfect pop.





The Sneaker Dress.  My second task was to show the versatility of a dress.  Adding sneakers to a dress is a great way to be hip and functional.  In my real life I am constantly looking for more ways to wear comfortable shoes.  I love that this dress could also be worn off the shoulder.  I felt that this dress needed a belt to keep it from being bulky and to show off her waist.  But for sure off the shoulders with a stacked heel sandal takes this beauty into the evening.  Finally, these glasses.  I am obsessed.  Never knew I'd be dreaming of Chloe glasses.  I so am.  Obsessed.  









Third look was a transition style - how to go seamlessly from kid time to adult time.  If you look closely at these jeans they have a touch of sequins under the rips.   How fun is that considering jeans are the go-to mom uniform.  I want to rock sequins on the soccer field.  And think we all should!  It's so important as women to cultivate and celebrate confidence, in ourselves and eachother.

So who's with  me on the sequins??

Wearing a graphic tee to liven things up.  And these shoes, slightly different than your normal sandal with the cinched tie at the top.  I thought they were so cool.


Here's a fun little secret - we had the models drape their sweaters and jackets, like a cape, to make it easier and quicker for them to change into their next looks.







Then the quick turnaround to head to brunch.  I like the idea of a t-shirt under a dress, evoking your best 90's style.  It makes dress wearing easy, no need to worry about shaved underarms or wishing you were tan.  Bonus, it keeps you warmer on these chilly pre-spring days.  The hat only makes sense because if I am outside at the field, most likely my curls are going to be crazy and need taming.  Jeans off, dress on, add a hat.  Time for mimosas.





You can find my shirt here, c/o Neiman Marcus.  

So what did you think?  Which look is your favorite??



photos by Vivian Hsu

Besides awesome fashion, the very best part was getting to do this with my favorite fashionista and having so many friendly faces in the audience supporting my fashion endeavors.  Seattle has a great community of fashion lovers.  Even a few of my dearest girlfriends were in the audience, and my brother and nephew surprised me with their presence.  Right?

All around a fantastic evening.  So grateful for this opportunity, thank you Neiman Marcus, JJ, and crew.

best,
Kirsty

1 comment:

  1. Cazal eyeglasses and eyewear feature clean, modern lines that mirror the minimalism of today. Luxurious textures and hand painted German designs produce a sizzle to indulge the senses.Cazal Eyeglasses

    ReplyDelete