9.21.2017

Summer Recap. Reminiscing and Working Together



 



 


Yes by the calendar we are in the last day of summer.  And by the weather we are well into the thick of fall.  But our summer memories are still fresh on the brain, like it was yesterday.  Because basically it was yesterday.

In honor of the last day of summer, and because I was too busy enjoying summer to share these posts, and because I want a record of my thoughts...if only I had time to journal and scrap book this out...I want to share some of what we did as a family.

The beauty of being local shop owners, is that we determine our schedule, the challenge is that we are responsible for our schedule.  Feel me?  Good is that we have Mondays and Tuesdays off, so in the summer it is a wonderful time to take advantage of mini adventures sans the crowds.  This was our goal for the summer, I we did it.

This day in particular we all woke up challenging.  Tugging at each other and being quite selfish to be honest.  And it was hot.  But I really wanted to take the boys canoeing.  I was determined.

When we finally got out on the lake, we had to work together to row.  If one of us wanted to be in charge or cop out, we didn't get far.  So good to exert energy and put our own self aside, right?  It definitely took us a bit to get over ourselves and our grouchiness, maybe even a dip in the lake, but in the end we had a wonderful afternoon, as a family.

And I got to reminisce.  One of my favorite memories with Nick is renting a canoe and rowing through the arboretum.  I would consider this our first date-ish sort of activity.  Back in our college days.  It was just the two of us, when you are still putting on that game face - like hey I can power through this swampy area filled with major spider webs.  No big deal.  Oh my goodness gross!  I'm sure I was dreaming of the day I'd marry this man, hello major crush, but I am not sure in that moment among the spider webs I had any idea the journey we would have together and this little family we would become.

And wow how gorgeous are lily pads, we all were in awe.  Well maybe I was in awe and the boys were intrigued.  And Nick was a good sport.  The best was the baby ducklings swimming their way around the pads.

At one point we had a blue heron just feet from us and a bald eagle's nest in our view.  What an incredible back yard we have.


So that's our afternoon spent in a row boat.

What were some of your favorite summer moments?  I'd love to hear.  I may be sharing a few more this week.

best,
Kirsty

1 comment:

  1. Arthurs backyard and Tacklind bible studies.Getting a bunny! Going to the ocean with a baby to see his first everything. Parks with kidos. 4th fireworks.A favorite book finished called No Ordinary Life.Summer jams...Lauren Daigle and For King and Country. Favorite hip hop jam for the summer Love on the Brain.Rihanna & Taylor Swift Bad Blood.

    ReplyDelete