1.19.2012

Our Mudroom {the evolution of}

We have no "mudroom" in our house.  Living in a home built in the 1920's in the city, there isn't a lot of extra space.  With two boys now, this has become more of a need than ever before.  I have made a space in our living room that works as the mudroom, and gives my boys a space to put their items away when we enter the house.  The less picking up after them the better!!

Here is what our house looked like in the beginning {before children}




We lowered the original picture rail and added crown molding above - to create more formal detailing, finished the wood floors {in a stain that is WAY too dark for a house that is actually lived in!} and painted the walls Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore.  This is the best picture I have of what it looked like before it became our "mudroom"



I needed a place for my little ones' coats and shoes, and we needed some decor updates, so here we are...



For shoes {and socks} we have a basket under the desk.  I heard from a professional organizer that labels help everyone to stay organized, so I took a wood tag and spray painted with chalkboard paint...




For little ones' coats, these adorable hooks from Anthropologie...




Originally I was going to do something to the letter hooks but I kind of like that they are a similar color to the wall, it keeps the area from seeming too busy...



At Christmas, we had an abbreviated Advent Calendar {we only did 20 days} on this wall...




and on the typewriter {that I found at a garage sale in Montana for 25$!} I typed what Riese told Santa that he wanted for Christmas...




Now in the new year, the wall was a little too bare, so I hung a "P" that I wrapped in natural rope...




And some Hyacinths, thank goodness for forced bulbs while we await signs of spring, seriously...




And here we are yesterday, in the midst of crazy snow and ice storms, not nearly enough space to contain all of our wet gear...




I think for now the space is sufficient and I am happy with it.  And remember this chalkboard, here is where it has ended up, and I LOVE it.  Ali wrote our "house motto" on it for us.  Love that girl's handwriting.  And back in the corner, you can sort of see one of my favorite pictures taken by Kristen when Peyton was a newborn...







Hope you are all well this week.  The Seattle area is experiencing some crazy weather storms right now. Thankful for a heated home that {for the most part} I love.  Praying for all of those who are without heat or home.

Happy Thursday.

Best,
Kirsty

1 comment:

  1. Your mud room is awesome. This is great!!! I am so envious!

    ReplyDelete