1.25.2018

Find What Works For You. And Do It.

bar method

6 years ago I made the decision to go to a Bar Method class. 

I went because I had those last baby pounds to shed and they just weren't going away.

But what I didn't realize was how much I would come to value taking that time for myself and being healthy. 

I had spent the few years prior in the thick of being a mom.  Over 3 years straight of being pregnant or breastfeeding, then there was the lack of sleep, that was probably the hardest for me.  Have you ever had a scoop of ice cream on top of piping hot oatmeal for breakfast?  It's killer good.  You're welcome.  And sometimes that is what it took.  Funny how MUCH I am missing that season as I type this.     

But back to the point I am trying to make.

I found the space for myself that filled me in a way that I could then pour myself more fully into my two amazing baby boys, my husband, and everything else that I call life.  Taking that Bar Method class was one of the best decisions I have made in the last decade.  My hope is to encourage you all to find what works for you and to do it, and if you are already doing it, keep it up!  

Because as moms, and women in general, we often don't make ourselves a priority.  Whether it's just instinctual to take care of others first, or the "mother guilt" we feel, it's amazing how often self-care and exercise is forgotten, or unheard of.

You have to find what works for you.  Couple key pieces for me:  I have to be out of the house, and have someone else telling me what to do.  I don't like over-sweating or wearing shoes.  What also keeps me accountable is the financial piece, if we are committing a percentage of our budget (my husband says he will have it no other way, apparently I am A LOT more centered if I work out, huh.) then I am committed to going, and getting our money's worth, even if I don't feel like it sometimes.

Maybe it's planning a trip to somewhere warm and sunny *sigh* or maybe it's a new pair of running shoes, or nice workout clothes.  Let yourself get motivated.  And just do it.  Ladies.  You can find Bar Method studios here, you can also take Bar Method Online, and more of why its' my workout of choice here.

But if that's not for you...

I have a few suggestions for you, these are all women that I love and would recommend.  They are happy to answer any questions you may have and encourage you on your journey.  


For workout and diet components...

My Sister in Law started Beach Body last year and can I just say her transformation of body AND mind have been amazing, and so inspiring.  Seeing her bloom more into the woman we always saw glimpses of is so awesome.

Here is what she has to say...
I was never really great at taking care of myself. The schedule just always filled up with everyone else’s stuff and I didn’t really realize how empty I was becoming. Feeding everyone else from an empty basket, you know?  Then I started exercising 30 min a day in an awesome accountability group and I woke up!  And not only did I wake up to my own needs, but I could absolutely relate to how pretty much every one of my friends felt. So I started running these groups myself!  I run online groups where we (hilariously) hold each other accountable to exercising, eating well, and having a good attitude about it.  It’s incredibly rewarding to have a group of people who care about you and are cheering you on.  The programs are highly diverse, so you pick what works for you. And in the end, we take care of ourselves so we can do whatever we were put on this earth to do WELL!  
You can contact Patty here.


Jenn, friend and fellow blogger, often my partner in fashion shenanigans, started Faster Way to Fat Loss last year and loved the results.  I appreciate her commitment to taking care of herself and aging gracefully!  You can read more about her journey here.   She says it so well no sense rewriting.



If you just need to get active, and you live in the Seattle area, this is my girl.  She always makes me laugh and smile, and I have even done a workout with here.

Here is what Angie has to say...
Listen, people, carving out some time for yourself can sometimes feel like military level precision. But you’re motivated to make sure you live a long, healthy life full of joy, not rage. And exercise can help with all of that. Now what? Where do you begin? If you like a small group circuit style workout taught by an exercise physiologist (me!), then come see me Thursdays at 12pm. The class is 45minutes, we pick things up and put things down, work every muscle and listen to throwback rap music. What more could a mere mortal woman ask for?
WHERE: Sound Strength + Conditioning, 35th Ave & 55th St, NE Seattle
WHEN: Thursdays12P
WHAT: a 45min science-based, total body workout
COST: $15
Contact Angie here: blog  insta  email



Happy Thursday.  Here's to finding time for ourselves today, whatever that may look like.

best,
Kirsty

1 comment: